Friday, October 20, 2006

Drunken Sufis and Wine Worship -- Spiritual Intoxication

Saqi

Serve the wine, Saqi, that burns my soul.
That burns away all regret
for this and that.

Give me a fire that melts me down,
Then carries away the water and annihilates my existence.

Give me a wine that makes me lost to self
That i might break the jug and return to the vat

Give me a wine that sets my
soul aflame,
That burns
away my heart and soul and takes away all thought.

Give me a wine that makes me so
drunk
That i am set free from the darkness of my existence

Give me a wine that drives me
mad,
That turns me into a stranger to all creation.

Give me a wine that relieves me of self
That i might reside securely at the corner of the tavern.

Let the Tavern of Unity become my abode,
So that my heart desires and beholds
nothing but God.

"Saqi" -- Dr. Javad Nurbakhsh (Sufi Journal no. 41)

4 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alhamdulillah! What a beautiful and loving Sufi poem by Dr. Nurbakhsh, the Qutb of the Age. May Allah bless him and gaurd his secret.

Ya Haqq!

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak Dear Brother Kevin, and all the darvishes of Boston :)

May Allah bless you and your families all the years to come.

Ya Haqq!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Esmail Radpour said...

Eid Mubarak Brothers

Very Beautiful , I love this poem of HAZRAT-i PIR.

Saqi-Nameh is a style of persian poem and great poets(for example Hafiz , Jami) use it. This Poem of Dr.Nurbakhsh is one of the most beautiful of this style in persian poems.

Ya Haqq! Madadi.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Neela Menon said...

I think this is a wonderful lyric. For a long time I have been trying to look outside the apparent meaning and see into the inner meanings of these poems related to "intoxication" and "saqi". Even Nusrat's Halka halka suroor hain had me puzzled, when you come to the line "tere pyar ne teri chaah ne mujhe ek sharabi bana diyaa" I dont know whether to treat it as a simple love lyric or a deep spiritual poem. Can someone please throw more light and help me clear my confusion?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home